In 1929, the first Lutheran worship services were held in Auburn, Alabama with local residents and Lutheran students attending Auburn University. Monthly meetings were conducted in the basement of an Auburn University building. Weekly worship services began in 1938 and Trinity Lutheran Church was officially organized as part of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
The rapid growth at the university meant an increase in staff and students. The first full-time pastor was hired in 1948. Meetings were held at the War Eagle Theater as efforts were made toward purchasing property to construct a church. The new church was dedicated in 1951, with much of the work on the building, especially the altar, pulpit, lectern and baptismal font, completed by members.
In 1967, a Student Center and Education building were completed. More expansion plans began in 1982 to accommodate the growth in membership. On Pentecost Sunday in 1994, ground was broken for our present sanctuary. A new education facility, fellowship hall and renovated Narthex were dedicated in 2004.